Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Sea

Every wave reminds me of you and her
Your quiet longing for the sea
And the sounds of the water
As you sat gazing at it quietly
For hours.
You said it brought you peace –
The rhythm and the regularity
Of the waves and stretches of sand

For her the opposite
As she squeals in delight
With every wave that comes rushing
Unable to gauge its depth and power
Every shout different and louder than the one before
Then rushing to the shore to build castles
Scattering colourful toys
That break the monotony of the sand.

Others may see in you opposites
But all I find is the sameness
Of your undying love for the sea
Binding my past to my future
In a continuum that makes all seashores
But a reflection of the others
And unfailingly draws me to them
To relive the memories
As I breathe in the air
And look longingly at the sea and sands
That carry on being themselves
Unaware of my presence
And what they mean to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment